- By becoming a qualified interpreter, you can support others in minority communities to access public services, specialise in different sectors and be your own boss with flexible working – all while earning over double the National Living Wage.
- Support yourself and your community by using your language and culture
- 14 WEEK ONLINE COURSE 9.5 HOURS PER WEEK
- Currently recruiting to start the next course in June
Duration: This 14 week online course leads to a nationally recognised certificate that is accredited by Ascentis
Location: Fully online – see below for details
The World, Britain is a multilingual society, but there are still members of some communities who struggle to understand or communicate in English. This qualification allows learners to develop the skills to help others to overcome linguistic barriers in everyday situations, such as accessing education, health services, housing, justice, and other public services.
This qualification is aimed at learners who have an interest in becoming a community interpreter and using a foreign language to help different linguistic groups in their community.
In this 15 minute video Mebrak, who is one of our directors, speak about why you should become a community interpreter, how interpreting helped her to start up her own company and connect with communities around East Sussex.
- Public services
- The role of the interpreter
- Interpreting methods and models
- Interpreting practice through role plays
- Cultural awareness
- How to maintain Confidentiality and impartiality
- Language Interventions
- Telephone interpreting
- Translation by Sight
- Understanding Professional code of conduct
- The pathways into employment and further training